Wrong-way drunken driver pleads guilty

A 24-year-old Connecticut man has admitted to his role in a wrong-way drunken driving crash that seriously hurt three young women on Interstate 684 in April.

Ricardo Martinez-Arenas of Stamford, Conn. pleaded guilty today to aggravated vehicular assault, a felony, and aggravated driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, Westchester County District Attorney’s office.

He agreed to serve 3 to 9 years in state prison as part of his plea. He will be sentenced on October 19th.

Prosecutors said Martinez-Arenas was driving south in the northbound lanes of I-684 in the early morning hours of April 24, 2010, when he crashed head-on with another car in Lewisboro.

The impact caused his car to burst into flames. The three women, who were 18 to 21 years old, were badly hurt. The driver remains in a wheelchair, according to the District Attorney’s office.

State police said Martinez-Arenas had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08.

Rebecca Baker

Rebecca Baker joined The Journal News in March 2004. She covers Eastchester, Bronxville and Tuckahoe, and was previously the state and county courts reporter in Westchester County. In prior jobs, she covered the Town of Greenburgh and Rockland County government and politics. Before coming to The Journal News, she was a municipal reporter for newspapers in New Haven, Conn. and Warren, Ohio.